Monday, July 16, 2012

Harvest Monday, July 16, 2012

The bean and sugar snap pea harvests peaked this past week. I wasn't able to harvest the beans in a timely manner the weekend before last so the harvest on Monday was a big one featuring beans that had grown beyond the "filet" size but which are still good tasting. The sugar snap peas have been maturing in quick succession and are almost done now. This is the first time that I've planted snow and snap peas for such a late harvest. I got a good crop from the plants but the peas did seem to come in almost all at once. Next year I'll be able to get back to my usual early spring planting times which will allow a more leisurely paced harvest.

Super Sugar Snap peas and Rolande "filet" beans


The Sweetie Baby romaine lettuces are also sizing up in record time and are just starting to bolt. We've been eating a lot of salad lately.

Sweetie Baby romaine lettuce

The Lark's Tongue kale is growing like a weed! Fortunately, it tastes much better than any weed that I've tried to eat. I used this bunch (three leaves!) in a raw kale salad with a simple dressing of lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper. The salad was fortified with zante currants, roasted salted sunflower seeds, and slivers of fresh sweet Blenheim apricots. I allowed the chopped kale to sit dressed in the refrigerator for a couple of hours to soften a bit before I added the seeds and apricots. The salad was delicious and my husband enjoyed leftovers just as much after the salad marinated for a few more hours in the fridge.

Lark's Tongue kale

Lark's Tongue kale

Rolande filet beans picked at the proper size and
Super Sugar Snap peas

The zucchini is starting to produce! I always get excited about the first zucchini, it's been such a long time since the final harvest from the garden last year and I almost never buy zucchini, even from the farmer's market. This lone zuke weighed in at 4 ounces, big enough to slice and roast with some asparagus and broccoli. The rest of the zucchini and the blossoms will go into the first Scarpaccia (savory zucchini tart) of the season.



There's still a few shoots of the Apollo broccoli trickling in and the caper harvests continue but are starting to slow a bit. The snow peas are gone, I pulled all the plants and gave them to the chickens to peck at, they love it. I hope that I will get to show off the first cucumber in the next week or so, keep your fingers crossed that the rats don't find them first...

Here's the harvest totals for the past week:

Rolande filet beans - 4 lb., 2.9 oz.
Apollo broccoli - 6.9 oz.
Capers - 3.6 oz.
Lark's Tongue kale - 10.8 oz.
Sweetie Baby romaine lettuce - 2 lb., 4.6 oz.
Super Sugar Snap peas - 2 lb., 11.4 oz.
Da Fiore zucchini - 1 lb.
Zucchini blossoms - 1.1 oz.

The total harvests for the week came to 11 lb., 9.3 oz.
Which brings the total harvests for the year to 71 lb., 9.7 oz.

Harvest Monday is hosted by Daphne on her blog Daphne's Dandelions, head on over there to see what other garden bloggers have been harvesting lately.

17 comments:

  1. Beautiful harvests. I have a tendency to like my beans older. To me the really young ones are tasteless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like green beans both young and old, I just prepare them differently.

      Delete
  2. Really nice harvest, Michelle. The kale salad sounds delicious. I'm with your husband, I would probably enjoy it even more the next day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect that it be good even after a couple of days, if you could keep it around that long!

      Delete
  3. Lovely harvests Michelle. I like my beans young too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous harvest this week. Your greens are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that's only three leaves of Kale? Mmmm I will have to look for that variety, it looks very productive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, the kale is incredibly productive and I like the flavor too. The only seed sources that I know of for it is the SSE member from whom I got my seeds (you have to be a SSE member also) or Southern Exposure Seed Exchange.

      Delete
  6. Great harvest, I'm jealous of your zucchini. We lost both our plants this year to a bacterial wilt so we won't have zucchini from our garden for the first time in 15 years. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the sounds of that kale salad. Going to have to try that when I get my fall crop in and growing. Pretty much done with the spring planted kale and the tree kale is not a good candidate for that kind of use.

    Those beans look really delicious. I am about a week or two away from my first green bean harvests and am looking forward to them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sure is pretty kale. Apricots and currants! What luxury. I do hope the rats stay away. Terrier, you need a terrier. Everything looks beautiful, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if I could rent a terrier?

      Delete
    2. It's worth a try. I always feel you can find anything in California!

      Delete
  9. I'm jealous of your filet beans and sugar snap, both didn't do well for me this year. Oh well, next year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. At the rate my peas are currently growing i reckon they're going to be a summer crop for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so interesting what you're harvesting because some of those plants just don't exist at the same time of year here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw that fantastic zucchini flower... I envy you so much, I love zucchini flowers but I cannot find them, here in Sweden. I think I will start growing zucchini myself.
    Ciao.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I value your insights and feedback.