Monday, September 1, 2014

Harvest Monday - September 1, 2014

It's the first day of September and I finally get to show off a few of my larger sized tomatoes, the first Black Krims were ready to harvest on Saturday.

Black Krim tomatoes
The cherry tomatoes are rolling in, especially the Sweet Golds.

Sweet Gold cherry tomatoes
The smaller sized Jaune Flamme have been coming in at a steady pace. About a pound of those went into a braise with the last chunk of the giant cauliflower.

Jaune Flamme and Isis Candy tomatoes
There has been no lack of Padron peppers.

Padron peppers and Isis Candy tomatoes
Below is the second harvest of Sonora Anaheim type chile peppers. I roasted them and used them in a Three Sisters stew featuring some blue posole (hominy), green beans, zucchini, sausage, and a somewhat Southwestern blend of seasonings. Dave loved the posole and wanted to put a big M on the leftovers designating them as MINE, as in his, all his, don't touch. Well, that means that I will definitely have to turn some of my flint corn into some posole.

Sonora chile peppers

The glut of eggplant has started, there's lots more where these came from.

Salangana eggplant

Big Tromba d'Albegna squashes should be just perfect for making stuffed zucchini boats. Those will be on the menu later this week.

Tromba d'Albenga zucchini

Romanesco zucchini, one of too many harvests. These are perfect for making Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread. What do you do when a friend brings a loaf of the most delicious chocolate zucchini bread? You give her more zucchini, of course! Thanks Catherine, there's not one crumb left...

Romanesco zucchini
The Di Ciccio broccoli is pushing out wave after wave of side shoots and so far it is evading the attentions of the nasty bad bad Bagrada Bugs.

Di Ciccio broccoli

Other harvests not photographed this week were loads of cutting greens including Arugula, Baby kale, Tokyo Bekana, pac choi, and mizuna. The lone gai lan plant pushed out a few more shoots and somehow I failed to photograph any of my cucumber harvests last week. Oh and I continue to weigh my onions as I use them. I could weigh them all now but I decided that weighing them as I use them will help to document how long they last. So far the Red Candy Apples are holding up quite well, still firm and free of rot. The last of the Superstars went under the knife this week and the Candys feel like they may be getting a little soft so I need to refrigerate those and use them up - just 4 left. I am really going to miss my sweet onions when they are gone.

Here's the harvests for the past week:

Speedy arugula - 1 lb., 11.1 oz.
Golden Gate beans - 3.2 oz.
Musica beans - 3 oz.
Di Ciccio broccoli - 2 lb., 12 oz.
Tokyo Bekana napa cabbage - 14.5 oz.
Garden Oasis cucumbers - 1 lb., 2.7 oz.
Tasty Treat cucumbers - 15.9 oz.
Salangana eggplants - 5 lb., 9.8 oz.
Green Lance gai lan - 3.4 oz.
Baby Portuguese kale - 7 oz.
Ruby Streaks mizuna - 6.7 oz.
Superstar onion - 1 lb., 5.9 oz.
Purple pac choi - 5.2 oz.
Padron peppers - 1 lb., 10.7 oz.
Sonora chile peppers - 12.9 oz.
Black Krim tomatoes - 2 lb., .7 oz.
Isis Candy cherry tomatoes - 1 lb., 13.1 oz.
Jaune Flamme tomatoes - 14.9 oz.
Sweet Gold cherry tomatoes - 5 lb., 14.9 oz.
Romanesco zucchini - 6 lb., 9.7 oz.
Tromba d'Albegna zucchini - 4 lb., 6 oz.

The total harvests for the past week were - 40 lb., 7.3 oz. (18.4 kg.)
Which brings the total harvests for 2014 up to - 571 lb., .4 oz. (259 kg.)

Harvest Monday is hosted by Daphne on her blog Daphne's Dandelions, head on over there to see what other garden bloggers have been harvesting lately.


10 comments:

  1. Nice harvest. I'm impressed with the size of the Black Krim, when I grew they they were very small, but that was a bad tomato year. That is a lot of eggplant. What do you do with all of that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite thing to do with all that eggplant is to roast it over an open flame until they are very soft, peel off the skin, drain the excess moisture from the soft flesh. The roasted flesh has a delicious smoky flavor. I love it in Liz's Eggplant Masala (Suburban Tomato blog) or chopped and seasoned for a side dish or bruschetta topping, it can be used in baba ganoush, and best of all it freezes beautifully so that's how I preserve the bulk of my eggplant harvest.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful harvest, Michelle! Your black krims look great. Mine always seems to have green shoulders. The eggplant looks fantastic as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy I would love more zucchini, but my plants just aren't doing anything. I have my fingers crossed though. I did harvest zucchini in October last year. That isn't normal but I can always hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That zucchini bread sounds yummy. I made two loaves of my spelt chocolate zuke bread last week and stuck them in the freezer. I'd love to have a glut of eggplant like yours but I don't think this is going to be the year for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Black Krim it one of my favorite tomato but haven't been able to grow it for a while, should give it a go again maybe next year. Those Sonora chile peppers and Salangana eggplants look gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the colour on those Jaune Flamme tomatoes - and all of those Padron peppers & eggplants - must be nice!!

    Another zucchini has set on my Romanesco squash & I am so looking forward to harvesting it - Romanesco is definitely my favourite out of my admittedly meager squash harvests this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ten lbs of zucchini? Bring out the flame thrower! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, beautiful harvests. Boy, you sure grow a lot of small-type tomatoes. I find one plant of grape tomatoes is more than enough for us. Do you do something special with them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We manage to eat most of them fresh, my husband takes a bunch of them in his lunch every day, I put them into salads and other preparations and what we don't get through fresh I salt and slow roast until they're dry and a bit caramelized - great for snacks and I almost always put them into the frittatas that my husband likes to take for his lunches.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I value your insights and feedback.